Updated on: Mar 21, 2013
The Bengal Engineering and Science University is also known as BESU. It is located at Shibpur in Howrah, West Bengal. The University is one of the oldest and leading engineering colleges in India. It is quite popular in India and abroad for its heritage as well as excellence in teaching and research in engineering and applied sciences.
Several undergraduate courses leading to B.E / B.Arch Degree are offered by the University. It also offers numerous Masters level courses in technical disciplines. PhD courses are also offered. The courses of the University are approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). Master of Business Administration (MBA) and one year post-graduate diploma in Bio-Informatics are also conducted by the University.
The University, at present, offers AICTE approved undergraduate courses leading to B.E / B.Arch Degree in eight branches as follows
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Tele-Communication Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
A regular course of study for the degree course extends over 8 Semester, except in Architecture in which case it is extended over 10 Semesters.
Post Graduate Courses
The University offers AICTE approved 4-semester post graduate courses leading to Master of Engineering degree in 8 disciplines, namely, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Metallurgy, Mining, Electronics and Tele-Communication, Computer Science and Technology, Engineering Mechanics and Mining and a 4-semester post graduate degree course in Master of Town & Regional Planning.
In addition to above, the Institution also offers the following Post-Graduate Coerces
- 6-semester course in Master of Computer Applications(MCA).
- 6-semester part-time evening Post-graduate courses in Civil Engineering in three areas of specialization namely Structural Engineering, Geo-technical Engineering & Environmental Engineering.
- 6-semester part-time evening course in Industrial Metallurgy.
- 4-semester full time course in Master of Business Administration (MBA) under the aegis of BECSOMS.
- 6-semester part time course in Information Technology, under PDSIT.
- 1 year post-graduate diploma in Bio-Informatics.
- 4 semester full time course in Master of Science in Applied Physics, Applied Chemistry, Applied Mathematics and Applied Geology.
- 4 semester full time in Materials Engineering leading to Master of Technology.
The academic departments offer guidance and facilities for Ph.D. programme. For this purpose, the University offers 10 Doctoral Fellowships. Until now, more than twenty faculty members and scholars of this College have been awarded Ph.D. degrees.