Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya
Establishment of Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya is founded on certain very important socio economic and environmental issues. The major geographical feature of the Northern West Bengal is its wide spread and extremely diverse natural resources. But the most serious environmental hostility of the citizens of six North Bengal district face is low productivity due to alluvial nature of soil. Economy of this large part of West Bengal is mainly dependent on agriculture. Consequently, it was very important to provide the citizens with proper solution to get out of this trouble. The sole way out of such condition was to guide the inhabitants with proper advices, so that they would produce those types of crops, which grow spontaneously on this particular type of soil. This is the most important factor behind genesis of the Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya.
The Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya was established by the West Bengal Act XX of 2000 and it started operating as a university since 2001.
Faculties in Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya:
The Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya houses two faculties,
- The Faculty of Agriculture and
- The Faculty of Horticulture
Both these faculties are paying important roles in providing proper guidance to the local inhabitants to cultivate the land properly and produce crops according to the nature of soil. Both these faculties, conjointly, also trying hard to increase the fertility level of soil of this region. Both the faculties of this university are replete with highly qualified teachers. Click here to know more about them and their field of interest.
Objectives of Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya:
The Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya is functioning on certain objectives, which are as follows:
- Develop the economic standard of this region, which is predominantly agrarian in nature
- Increase the productivity of soil through scientific experiments, without harming environmental harmony
- Bring forth remarkable change in agriculture and horticulture crop production
- Revolutionize cropping pattern and productivity in the six districts of North Bengal
- Introduce new technologies, which will fit the argo-climatic and socio-economical features of this region
- Well-equipped central library
- Seminars and workshops
For further information related to UBKV, click on the links provided below: