Visva Bharati University
The Visva - Bharati University Shantiniketan was established in the year 1921 with an aim of spreading Indian spiritualism and philosophy to the world. In the name of the university itself, there is a deep connotation, which implies the unification of the world with India. Founded by the great poet, prophet and philosopher, Rabindranath Tagore, this institution aims at conferring Indian knowledge resource to rest of the world through various academic disciplines and on the other hand enriching Indian resources with derived philosophy from rest of the world.
The Visva-Bharati University offers students from all over the world, under graduate, post graduate and doctoral degrees on various disciplines. The University comprises several institutes within its ambit, such as:
- Vidya Bhavana (Institute of Humanities)
- Shiksha Bhavana (Institute of Science)
- Palli Shiksha Bhavana (Institute of Agricultural Science)
- Binay Bhavana (Institute of Education)
- Kala Bhavana (Institute of Fine Arts)
All of these are centers of higher studies, imparting knowledge on various disciplines of science, arts and humanities. But there are also Patha Bhavana, Shiksha Sarta and Uttar Shiksha Sadana, which give primary, secondary and higher secondary school level education to students.
Objective of Visva Bharati:
In order to achieve academic and philosophical excellence, the Visva Bharati University follows certain objectives, which are as follows:
- Through study of mind, this institute wishes to explore allotropy of Truth
- Visva Bharati University enhances mutual relationship between persons through study and research. This university also seeks to explore underlying unity amidst various cultures of East.
- With life and thought of Asia, this institute wishes to approach West and at the same time attempts to compliment and supplement each other from philosophical perspective.
- This university also aims at ensuring world peace through understanding of common fellowship between East and West.
- Most importantly, the Visva Bharati University aims at assuring about the unification that exists amidst different cultures of the world, through study of art, literature, religion and various other cultural perspectives of Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Islamic, Sikh, Christian and other civilizations.
Visva Bharati as Central University:
In the year 1951, the Visva Bharati University was declared as a Central University and an institute of national importance by an Act of Parliament of India. At the same time this university also received the status of a teaching and residential university.
If you are interested in getting detailed information on Visva Bharati Shantiniketan, click here.
Keep surfing westbengaleducation.net to get more information on West Bengal Education Profile as well as Universities in West Bengal.
For further information related to Visva Bharati University, click on the links provided below: